Photo of the day - 11/23
So much to do, so little time. With Thanksgiving being tomorrow, I have so much to get done today to make it a holiday to remember. So here's one of my first chores. It's time to bake the pumpkins to make pumpkin pie. We grew these pumpkins this summer. And the black marks on them are from our favorite oversize blue bird, Colbalt. He has to taste everything in the garden to make sure it's OK for our consumption. I love the way our undercounter lights bounced off the tops of the pumpkins in this photo and made them sparkle on top.
So say goodbye to the last two home grown pumpkins. They'll be a tasty dessert very soon. Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited to add...
I ended up only baking one of the pumpkins. The pumpkin is done baking so now I have a pile of mush. Time to puree it in the blender. The pumpkin made almost 10 cups of mush. We gave my neighbor some of it and froze the rest. Good thing I only baked one!

Some people marry for love. I married for that and for my DH's pie crust. He's actually won a pie contest because he makes the very BEST pie crusts. So while I was scooping and blending, he was making the crust for my pumpkin pie. And since he doesn't like pumpkin, he made himself a Million Dollar Pie (similar to a pecan pie)

And here is the result. Mmmmm.... I can't wait until tomorrow. Do you think I could sneak just a tiny piece tonight. Would anyone notice?

So this pie is a little different than a normal pumpkin pie. It has a walnut topping that you add part way through baking. The recipe was created by a 15-year old boy and can be found here:
Edited to add, again...
DH read my blog and was rather perturbed that I didn't post a picture of his pie. So here it is. His favorite pie... Million Dollar Pie.

5 Comments:
Love this picture! Great job & Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your pies :)
Yes, I love how they kinda sparkle too!
loving the sparkle too...and how cool that you grow your own pumpkins AND get to make pie out of them! Happy Thanksgiving!
yum! pie! you must have green fingers to grow your own pumpking and then make the pies! wow!
Happy thanksgiving and how cool to grow your own pumpkins :)
Post a Comment
<< Home